Wether it is your first time taking a Vacation in Costa Rica or you are seasoned repeat visitor, the questions below will often come up:
1. Do I need a Passport to Travel to Cost Rica?
Yes, a valid passport is required to visit Costa Rica.
2. Is a Visa Require to Travel to Costa Rica?
Yes, and no. It is NOT required if traveling from the United States, Canada and most European Countries. If not traveling these countries, please check with the local consulate.
3. Can I reserve my unit with a Credit Card?
Yes, we accept Visa, PayPal, Interbank transfers and cash.
4. Is travel insurance available?
Yes, travel insurance is available on most of our homes and condos. During the reservation process, simply mark the travel insurance option. Call or contact us for additional information.
5. Do the homes have Internet, cable and phone lines?
Yes. Costa Rica has its own cable television network with popular channels like ESPN, CNN, Fox, Discovery, HBO, and Cinemax in English and Spanish (Direct TV and Satellite TV is also available). Internet is available through DSL and wireless broadband in many locations. Many newly constructed units in Costa Rica will be wired for all three.
6. Do I need an International Drivers License to Drive in Costa Rica?
You can drive in Costa Rica for six months with a non-Costa Rica License.
7. Can I Drink the Water?
Yes and No. Yes, the water is potable in most of the country. We advise clients not to drink the water as water systems are different.
8. What is the currency in Costa Rica?
The Costa Rica currency is the Colone, but US Dollars and credit cards are accepted most places.
9. What credit cards can I use in Costa Rica?
Most major credit cards are accepted in Costa Rica. Also, ATMs are widely available.
10. Can Foreigners buy real estate in Costa Rica?
Yes, foreigners have equal ownership rights in Costa Rica. See additional information online at www.jacorealty.com
11. Will my cell phone work in Costa Rica?
Yes/No. At present, only Att has a program with ICE (the CR phone company) to share its service. You must contact the phone company to activate this service
12. Can I rent a cell phone in Costa Rica?
Yes, you can rent a cell phone. Please click Here to inquire for more information.
13. Should l bring travelers cheques?
No, traveler’s cheques are often difficult to cash. Credit Cards are widely accepted and ATM machines are widely available
14. How much is the departure tax?
The departure tax is $26, paid in cash or visa credit card.
15. Do I need an electrical adaptor for Travel in Costa Rica?
No, outlets are standard 110 with 2 prongs.
16. What is the process for obtaining residency in Costa Rica?
There are several ways to obtain residency in Costa Rica: temporary resident, pensioner, and Foreigner government. For legal information contact your local Costa Rican consulate.
17. What if I want to stay longer, do I need to obtain a Visa?
If you wish to stay longer, you must leave the country for 72 hours and upon return an additional automatic 90 visa will be awarded.
18. Who do you call in case of an emergency?
Call 911 for emergencies.
19. What airlines travel into Costa Rica?
There is a large variety of airline that travel to Costa Rica. Please Click HERE for a list.
20. What airlines travel within Costa Rica?
There are two airlines that travel within Costa Rica – Nature air – www.natureair.comand Sansa – www.flysansa.com
21. Where do I go to whitewater raft?
You are in luck, Costa Rica Whitewater rafting can take place on the following rivers: Pacuare, Reventazon, Corobici, Sarapiqui, Naranjo and Savegre rivers.
22. Is Costa Rica divided Politically?
Yes, there are 7 political regions: San Jose, Heredia, Alajuela, Cartago, Limon, Puntarenas (where Jaco, Hermosa, Esterillos, Bejuco, Quepos and Manuel Antonio are all located) and Guanacaste.
23. Where can I go to see Turtles Laying Eggs?
Turtles Lay Eggs on both the Caribbean and the Pacific Regions. We suggest taking a tour in Playa Hermosa de Jaco. Click HERE for information on setting up a tour.
24. What borders Costa Rica?
North – Nicaragua, South – Panama, East – Caribbean, West – Pacific Ocean
25. What is the sales Tax in Costa Rica?
Sales tax is 13%
26. Can I get married in Costa Rica?
Yes, foreigners can get married in Costa Rica. You must have the following authenticated documents: 1. original birth certificate 2. affidavit of single status 3. police record 4. valid passport 5. divorce decree (if applicable).
27. What do I have to do to bring my pets (dogs and cats)?
Dogs and cats entering Costa Rica must have a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian, endorsed by a veterinarian service (VS) veterinarian. The examination for the certificate must be conducted within the two weeks prior to traveling to Costa Rica. The required vaccinations are: distemper, hepatitis, lestospirosis, parvovirus and rabies (for animals 4 months or older.) From ICT.
28. Do I need to take any inoculations for Travel in Costa Rica?
Only if traveling from the following countries: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador as well as the Republic of Guyana. If yes, you must have a yellow fever vaccination certificate.